Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Promise of Spring

Good morning! This morning as I fight with my internet connection, I wanted to share with you just a random tidbit from something that happened yesterday

But first! Some backstory!
I have been transplanted from the more open minded North to the Bible Belt of the South. I find myself surrounded by people who are both fascinated and horrified by the concept of paganism. I have heard it all: from being damned, the devil's lover, and even a satan worshipper, there are not many insults that surprise me any more. So I often find myself longing for the society I enjoyed in the North, even though I never truly loved the blistering cold. So I'm prone to idealizing everything about the North from their manner of speaking to the architecture and cuisine.

Yesterday I was planting bulbs in my garden with my fiance. We're fixing up his late great grandparent's house and expansive gardens which have been allowed to fall into disrepair. I'm truly hoping we get this unrully house under control before the wedding in June. While weeding a long forgotten flowerbed, I discovered- to my delight- peaking out of the mess was a tiny yellow crocus! I had no idea that crocus could grow down here in the South, they're quite well known in the North for blooming over the snow, helping us survive the winter til spring. They've always been a sign of hope for me. Finding them in this old overgrown flower bed gave me a sense of hope and well-being. I felt a sense of communion with this delicate little flower, in its isolation choked and surrounded by weeds. Perhaps I can also blossom even as isolated from amiable society as I feel. After all, spring will always come.

Perhaps many of you also feel isolated and alone in your craft. Many of us find it easier to hide in the shadows rather than be condemned by family, friends, and even miscellaneous people out in public. Many of us find that when we do reveal our beliefs we have the Bible shoved under our nose or lose people we once considered friends. We find our souls suddenly being fought over by people who would try to buy us salvation. The drama is often never ending and many people will never come to terms with the religious freedom of their neighbors. Often we find it easier to live a double life and only truly reveal ourselves to people we know will not scorn us for it.

 I tried to come out of the" broom closet" so to speak once. And only once. I explained Paganism in the most understandable and least threatening way I could: comparing its similarities to my parents' faith, Roman Catholicism. It was pretty eloquent for a 13 year old. My presentation was very poorly recieved and my Roman Catholic parents put to rest any rebellion (at least they thought they had). I recieved more lectures and books containing reasons why witchcraft is damnable than I even knew was possible. Even now, as a 21 year old bride to be, I still keep that "self" locked away from my parents. I am having a traditional Catholic wedding in which I will swear before a priest to raise my children Catholic and ensure their spiritual salvation. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage that yet.

I want to emphasize that I am neither anti-Catholic or anti-Christianity. It is my belief that all roads lead to the same path and that all Gods and Goddesses are one and deserve mutual respect. That isn't to say that I agree with all of their doctrines and practices, I'm sure this is a belief that I am not alone in.

In anycase, this became far more rant-ish than I had ever intended.  Perhaps you would like to share some of your experiences coming out of the "broom closet" your successes, your failures etc. I'm sure that Pagans everywhere can identify and have their own story to tell. That's really all for now...

Brightest Blessings!
Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment