Friday, January 25, 2013

Familiar Spirits


Merry Meet my twitchy witches,

Last post I related to you how difficult it can be to feel isolated in your craft. Many of you probably know the feeling. As I was sitting at my desk typing that last post, I had two little fur-balls curled up in my lap purring away “You’re not alone in your craft,” they purr to me. And they’re right. I’m not. I have two familiar spirits: two little kittens. Ralph, the color of gingerbread, follows me wherever I go bringing mischief in his wake. Henry, my little latte kitten, the ever quiet observer who is always ready to wrestle his brother, sits in the sidelines observing everything with bright eyes. These little fellows are my familiar spirits. Many witches simply call them familiars.

My familiar spirits wake me each morning to greet the Goddess and God breathing in the light of the new day with enthusiasm (and I am NOT a morning person). They follow the house sprites and spirits, playing and teaching me to revel in the glory of the otherworldly.  They curl up on my yoga mat, purring as I meditate, guarding me during rituals and keeping watch, one on either side.  They teach me to see the divine in all things. I eagerly learn the wisdom they volunteer to reveal to me, and they let me know that I am never alone.

And I always have my strong, supportive, compassionate and often bemused fiancĂ©.  This wonderful man, though he was raised by Baptist parents, does not condemn me for my beliefs, in spite of the fact that I tried to hide them from him. He didn’t question me. He didn’t rebuke me. He didn’t try to “save my soul”. He hasn’t followed the faith of his parents in years, so he is openly interested and tries to learn more about the path that I walk.  It is not my goal to convert him; everyone walks the path that they are called to. But it is so wonderful to have a partner who will hold me up in my beliefs and support me in every way…even if he doesn’t fully understand them. He is my familiar spirit, and with him I don't feel so isolated in my craft.
Who supports your beliefs? Who has touched your life and lifted you up? Comment and share!
That's all for now folks! Brightest Blessings!
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment